May 9, 2008

7 years, 3 homes, 2 miles

For those of you who don't already know this, we did end up moving last month. What a crazy whirlwind it was! I think the whole process ended up taking just 6 weeks. We are still totally amazed by how it all worked out. Even though we got a contract quickly, we really thought the deal had fallen apart and we were prepared to stay put. Fortunately, we had a very thorough and experienced agent on our side (Judy Willis--agent extraordinaire!) and with a little creativity, she and the other agent worked out nothing short of a miracle. At that point we had 2 weeks till closing with no wiggle room. Thankfully, we had many good friends and family who were able to help us out at the last minute! The move went faster than we hoped although I'm sure it didn't feel that way to those involved. Everyone had such great attitudes about it all. I wish so badly I had taken pictures but even without a camera, there are a few moments I hope I never forget...6 year old Zach disappearing onto the truck, ready to help (he's obviously seen Waide helping with many moves); Matt literally wearing the Little Tikes fort, his head poking out one hole and his legs out another--I'm not sure if he tried this for ease of moving or just for fun; Mark yelling "PIVOT" as several guys tried to manuever the couch up the stairs (any fan of FRIENDS should get a laugh out of this); several of the guys passing boxes and furniture from the truck over the railing of the 2nd story deck (I'm still not sure how this worked as well as it did, but it was pretty funny to watch and probably a nice break from all the stairs); picking Jeff up from the airport Tuesday night while my friends unpacked most of my kitchen including the pantry and fridge (I've since rearranged most of it, but it was so great to have it all put away on moving day and it provided some entertainment as we searched for and discovered where everything was!); watching Garrett keep George (his class mascot whose visit to our house just happened to be over the 2 days we were moving--of course) close by--he's never been that attached to him on previous visits, but this time it was definitely something secure for him--having Grandma Cathy at his beck-and-call was of course the other saving grace! Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who helped in any way! This was such a memorable and crazy experience for us! As crazy as it all was, I wish everyone trying to sell their house right now could be blessed with the same craziness!
In case you're wondering why the title of this post...in the (almost) 7 years we have lived here, this was our 3rd move and all 3 homes have been within a 2 mile-ish area! I guess we really do love it here! Maybe next time we'll be a little more adventurous...or maybe not.

No comments: