September 10, 2008

What's in a Name?

We were very indecisive about names for so long that many have asked us how we decided on Chance. Every time we talked about names we ended up getting pretty goofy and coming up with ridiculous options. When I suggested we just name the baby Chase Garrett, flip flopping Garrett's name, it triggered the memory of the name Chance. (We liked the name Chance and considered it when I was pregnant with Garrett.) But we still weren't too sure. A couple weeks before Chance was born, Jeff ran into an old friend of ours who recently had a baby boy. When he told Jeff the baby's name, I guess Jeff wasn't able to hide his reaction quickly enough and our friend said, "Yeah, I know. We really screwed up. We just couldn't decide and so that's what we ended up choosing in the hospital." After that, we decided we had to come up with some solid options before we were under pressure in the hospital. When we went to dinner for Jeff's birthday, we agreed not to leave until we had some names we were sure about. We decided Chance Tyler sounded good and we also liked Charlie. We felt much better being armed with 2 options. When I was in the last few hours of labor, I couldn't stop burping. (You gotta love pregnant reflux.) Paula asked what names we were considering and when we mentioned Charlie, she said we just had to choose that one. She said it was perfect considering how much I was burping (seriously, about every 15 seconds!) because it reminded her of the scene in Willie Wonka. Remember, when Charlie and his grandpa have to burp to get down from the ceiling after drinking the fizzy drink. Well, in the moment, it was a funny thought but as the burping progressed, I saw less humor in it. The option of Charlie was quickly dwindling due to a combination of reflux and a scene from Willie Wonka. The final deciding factor, was when Garrett came to the hospital and called the baby Chance. Jeff had asked Garrett which name he liked and it wasn't a difficult choice for him. The baby's name was Chance.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

You made the right choice with the name...I love it! Congratulations on the new little one...I hope things are going well.

Ellie said...

So what's the friend's baby's name? I'm the only one tacky enough to ask, but you know everyone wants to know.

My brother and his wife took 2 weeks to name their last baby after he was born. My brother is a teacher so they were concerned about getting a name that wouldn't get teased in school. They came up with Harper Eugene Nagel, which I totally didn't believe when my sister told me. Then I was glad she had warned me before my brother called to tell me so I wouldn't have the wrong reaction when he said it. Harper is 2 now and he's a very cute kid, but I still think it's a terrible name.

Chance is a great name and I'm glad finally to see pictures of him. I had just about given up on your blog. :-)

Unknown said...

Congrats on your beautiful baby boy! It took us a week or two after Henry was born to decide on his middle name.