March 24, 2009

Lego my...LEGO!

I love Legos! Legos provide Garrett, and therefore me, endless hours of entertainment. Yesterday was no exception although the entertainment came in a slightly different form. Toward the end of quiet time, I noticed Garrett quietly walking down the stairs. He was close to tears. He said, "Sorry mom, but I need to apologize to you and my esophagus." Ok. I asked him why and he explained to me that he had swallowed one of his legos and it was stuck in his esophagus! I decided to call the doctor just to be safe and while I was on hold, I got a few more details from him. He told me the lego was one of the "lights" that glows in the dark and he accidentally dropped it when he was holding it high in the air over his open mouth. (Imagine that.) The nurse told me that as long as he was breathing ok and didn't have a fever or a tummy ache, he would be fine and would eventually "pass" it. She told me that we needed to look for it in his poop for the next few days! When I told Jeff about this detail, he suggested that we just turn out the lights when Garrett poops and see if it glowed in the dark! Garrett thought this idea was hilarious! I failed to mention that I was fighting back laughter (not very well) while on the phone with the nurse because Garrett was analyzing where in his body he thought the lego was traveling. "Ok mom, I'm pretty sure the lego has dropped through the hole at the bottom of my esophagus and is swimming in my stomach juices." "Don't worry mom, I think the lego is too big to be absorbed into my blood vessels." "If it does go into my blood vessels, do you think the villi will move it along?" Ponderous pause... "Nope. I just felt the lego squeeze into my small intestine and now it's sliding around...(tracing the lego's path around his abdomen)...all over here." All this while I'm trying to listen to the nurse tell me the importance of searching through his poop! Later that night, Garrett assured me that he had felt the lego move into his large intestine and it was almost ready to come out in his poop. The last thing he said, as I tucked him into bed was, "Do you really think my poop will glow in the dark mom? I can't wait to go poop!" Seriously?

5 comments:

Emily said...

I think this is one of my most favorite posts I have ever read~hilarious!

Barbara Knaub said...

I Love this post! I am laughing so hard and so is Mike. Have fun sorting through the poo! Let us know how it goes! :)

Kari said...

Just an update for all those who have asked...we assume the lego has passed by now, but we never searched for proof! He hasn't complained about any discomfort and we decided that was good enough for us!

Ellie said...

This is hilarious! I love it that Garrett knows the path and thinks he can feel the lego moving along it. So so funny!

Betsy said...

Great story!