April 16, 2009

Mr. Independent

This week Garrett has finally decided that he is capable of getting cereal out of the pantry by himself. (Yes, he is 5 years old and we realize many parents can't keep their 2 year olds out of the pantry, but for some unknown reason, Garrett has never attempted to get food out without asking us first.) Sometimes, when I want to ensure a chance to sleep in, I leave a baggie of cereal on the counter for Garrett to munch on when he gets up (usually 6:30-7am). On those days, I also try to leave the tv channel on disney so he can watch a show if he wants to. (Ok, ok, don't judge to harshly. I know at least a few of you do this too!) I did this a couple times last week during spring break. This week Garrett has come into our room early in the morning asking if I left cereal out for him. I haven't. Usually he will just play for a little while until one of us fixes breakfast. Instead he got cereal for himself and turned on tv. Yesterday, he was able to fill us in on the weather and traffic and today he came running into our room telling us all about the soccer, basketball and baseball games he just watched. I looked at Jeff and said, "Did he just watch SportsCenter this morning?" (Jeff was the last one up last night, so the tv channel was on ESPN.) Jeff smiled and said, "That's my boy!" Garrett laughed, very proud of himself, and said, "Yep! I ate my Bumpers (cereal) and watched some sports!" I guess there are worse habits, right?

6 comments:

Jodi said...

That's too funny! What a cute little Jeff Jr.!! Love that picture!.

Penny said...

Sometimes that independance is a blessing in disguise, right?! Enjoy what you've had. Chance won't take as long to realize that he can do whatever Garrett is doing. Yesterday, I found Hadley up on the countertop trying to get in the cupboards. I think that Zach was 4 or so before he tried that one...

The Bunker Family said...

That is too funny! No judgment here, those are some good ideas! I might have to try them out...

sara said...

I am fine with everything...but I would cancel sports center. Just for his future wifes sake. Maybe record reality TV so he will be prepped and ready to support his wife in some meaningless reality TV watching when he is older...hee hee
I know a friend who pours milk into little containers in the fridge so it is "just the right size" to add to a bowl full of cereal that she leaves on the counter. Another has little stickers on the 2 and the 4 on the remote so that her 3 year old can put PBS on in the morning. It is crazy what a mom will do for a few more minutes of sleep!
You are a great Mommy!

Amy said...

TOo cute!!! Uncle Doug would be proud also that he is watching sports and weather reports. He is growing up!

Laura said...

i just read your "garrettism" updates. so cute!