On Saturday night we went to dinner downtown at Old Ebbitt Grill with Doug and Amy. They have an incredible dessert menu, so of course we had to indulge. (The best bread pudding!) When Jeff's blonde brownie sundae arrived he pushed the tower of ice cream and whip cream to the side so Garrett had unrestricted access to the brownie. Garrett is one of the only 4 year olds I know who doesn't like ice cream or whip cream. He did seem to enjoy the brownie though. An hour or so later, as we headed home, Garrett asked if he could have a treat before he went to bed. I reminded him that we'd already had dessert after we ate dinner. He emphatically pointed out that, "Dessert is not a treat!" I really wasn't in the mood to argue with logic like that, so I told him we would talk about it when we got home. Little did I know, the logic would not stop there. About 15 minutes later, I heard Garrett declare from the back of the van, "Mom, desserts are not treats!" (Sigh) "Why?", I asked. "Because desserts have ice cream and whip cream on it and I don't like that. So dessert just cannot be a treat!" Through veiled laughter, we reminded him that he liked the brownie and tried to convince him that not all desserts have ice cream and whip cream (even though at restaurants they usually do have at least one or the other), but he held fast to his logic. He kept muttering his new mantra: "Dessert is never a treat!"
May 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment