One of the Christmas traditions I've tried to carry on is buying an ormanment for Garrett, and now Chance too, every year. Jeff and I have a pretty fun collection of ornaments from our parents, so I try to find something each year that is personal and fun. This year, with our crazier than usual December, I hadn't spent much time looking at ornaments and the ones I had looked at ended up being sold out before I bought them. I finally found one for Chance right before Christmas and Great Grandma Bennion sent some cute ornaments for the kids for Christmas, but I still felt bad that I didn't find one for Garrett. A couple days ago, I ran into to CVS to grab something and noticed all their holiday stuff on sale. Of course I stopped to look and found a "Grinch" Hallmark ornament. Perfect! Garrett has been obsessed with the Grinch this year. He liked it last year too, but this year--he asks to watch and/or read the story almost every day--even now that Christmas is over. So, when I got home I set the ornament box under the tree and figured he might notice it and if not, I would just pack it away when I packed the other ornaments. The next day he found the box under the tree and shouted, "Look another present! I must have missed this one! It's a Grinch ornament! Did Santa bring it?" Laughing at how excited he was, I said, "I dunno. Who do you think left it there?" He thought about it for a minute and replied, "I think the Grinch brought it! He slithered and snuck and left this under the tree just for me!" That night he insisted on sleeping with the ornament next to his bed, has spent way too much time admiring it the last 2 days and described it in great detail to Grandma Boo Boo on the phone, asking if she could come over (never mind the 4 hour plane ride) to see the ornament the Grinch left him. Hopefully, next year Santa will remember that the only thing Garrett needs is the right ornament bought for half price at CVS...or he could just send the Grinch instead.
6 comments:
Why do we parents even buy Christmas presents at all? This is such a good story -- I love picturing the grinch slithering into your house. What will he bring next year?
SOOO cute. I love how innocent kids are and how just little things get them so totally excited about life. He is too cute.
we have the same tradition. steve's mom bought the kids a new orniment each year and we now do the same. it is so fun. we also buy a family one.
Hey I made my blog private and I need your email address!
email me
jfthueson@gmail.com
I am a witness that the blog has been updated since "shop til' you drop". I think the last time I saw it, was before that! I'll have to check more frequently. Garrett cracks me up! I love how you got the "Santa" talk.
LOL JODI!!! i was just logging on to check it as well!!! I completely accept that I was mistaken!
Post a Comment