I have a distinct memory of watching Princess Diana's wedding on tv with my mom when I was younger than Garrett is now. This gives me hope that he will remember something about yesterday even though we didn't make the trek downtown in the freezing cold. Like millions of other Americans, we gathered around the tv to watch our 44th President take the oath of office. What an incredible day it was. Even in our cozy warm house, it was impossible not to get chills (and tear up, of course) as I watched the sea of waving flags that packed the mall. There was such a positive feeling, so much excitement and hope. Flashes of recognition lit up Garrett's face as he recognized various buildings and monuments he was seeing on tv. I think it made everything so real for him. He said, "Look mom! There's the president's new house. It's just like right around the corner from our house!" I love that he feels a connection with what was happening even if it was mostly because of where it was happening. Of course, he was also very interested in President Obama himself. His preschool class wrote letters to our new President, which he was very excited about. But try as he might, he just can't quite get the name right. Here are some examples of what we have been hearing during the last week:
BARAKO BAMARA
BARAKAMO AMBAMA ABARAKA OBARA (closest I think) BAROKO AND BAMA BARAMO AND BAKA There's many more versions where these came from. I finally grabbed a pen and kept a running list on the fridge. They were just too funny to forget!This was one of the many great images of the day. I love that both families seemed so gracious and genuine in spite of their differences. For more great images try this link: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/01/the_inauguration_of_president.html

3 comments:
Love it when you UPDATE!
Love the names. So cute!
That's hilarious! Love it!! How are you guys doing?? We loved having you for dinner. Wish you were right around the corner...
Post a Comment