June 3, 2009

Camping or Moving?

Both! Jeff and Garrett had a great time camping in the Shenandoah for Memorial Day weekend and Chance and I stayed home to pack for our move last week. This camping trip has become a tradition for us and several friends and is always lots of fun.
No camping trip would be complete without smores, but this year Jeff insisted that we get the "nice long roasting sticks like the Williams have" so I went to Walmart and got a couple! They really are great, especially for the kids. Thanks Ellie and Jeff! I'm sure the smores tasted even better because of the "nice" roasting sticks. In addition to smores, Garrett loves to bring his "camping stories" along to read by flashlight in the tent at night. And of course, one of the best things about camping is playing in the dirt.
Garrett, Ian, Spencer and Nate digging in the dirt. Two years ago, our friend Sara brought this shovel set for the kids to play with and Garrett loved it so much that it went home with us. It has been well used--for camping and more--and I'm amazed it has lasted so long! Thanks Sara!
Garrett, Ian and Addy watching the deer in the Big Meadow. The deer at Big Meadow are very used to people and not the least bit shy. It always amazes us how close we can get to them.
They did 4 different hikes during the weekend. Jeff loves to hike and Garrett has really become a great little hiker! He rarely whines and just keeps going--even with blisters on his feet! We're always so proud of him when he finishes a big hike.
Garrett, Peter and Ian on one of the hikes. (Can't you just picture them in 10 years on High Adventure?)
Andrew, Nate, Peter, Spencer and Garrett racing down the trail to the waterfall. This is a hike that has become familiar to these boys over the last few years and they seem to run faster every year. I remember watching our friends' boys running down this trail when Garrett was still wobbling his way over every rock and taking rides on Jeff's back. It's so fun to see him running down the trail now.
A sure sign of a fabulous camping trip: smiling and dirty little boys.
(Chance & I got most of the packing done too, but didn't have nearly as much fun!)

3 comments:

Laura said...

sounds like the boys had a lot of fun on the camping trip!
okay, you moved? where? did you buy a house? am i way totally out of it?

Barbara Knaub said...

I love these pictures. They are so cute. Camping is the best!

Ellie said...

I forgot about the roasting sticks. Glad we made their campout a little nicer. Next year you have to come!