August 5, 2008

Oh me, Oh my...Mama Mia!

I wasn't going to post anything about this, but I keep giggling when I think about it so I just have to! The other night I went to see the movie version of Mama Mia with some friends. I've never seen the stage version, but I knew the story and of course the music. I'd heard mixed reviews about the movie, more negative than positive. Except for one...my friend Sierra. She told me how funny and cheesy it was and how she and her sisters had laughed through most of it. Now, all movie musicals are definitely a bit cheesy, but some take it just a bit too far. I have to agree that this was one of them--at least in parts. Thankfully, instead of being annoyed by this extra cheese, I found it hysterical! I really, honestly thought I was going to go into labor! I was laughing so hard that I was weeping! I couldn't stop! (Sorry again to the girls I was with! Thanks for laughing with me--and at me! Either way, at least I wasn't laughing alone!) And this was before Pierce Brosnan started singing--that didn't help me at all! (Poor Pierce! I've heard that he sounds ok on the soundtrack, but to watch him...oh boy!) Don't get me wrong. It wasn't completely hopeless like Xanadu--sorry to any Xanadu fans! When another friend asked how the movie was, my answer was "Thouroughly entertaining!" I definitely recommend seeing it with the right group and when you're in the right mood! (Kinda like Monty Python.) Thanks Sierra for getting me in the right mood to enjoy this movie! Oh, I failed to mention the 80 year old woman sitting behind us who sang every song during the movie! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

4 comments:

Mike and Barbara said...

hahaha I love it. I liked it but lets just say the stage version is way better. Not so cheesey!

The Takemoto Family said...

OK... I can vouch. She really WAS about to laugh that baby right out of there... It was funny but wow - being next to Kari was WAY funnier! :)

Amy said...

K I loved the cheese. If I wasn't worried about horribly embarrassing barb, I would have danced in the aisles. The lady sitting next to me was singing every song too. I loved it! So laughing doesn't cause labor... have you tried mexican food?...or jumping on trampolines?

Julie Miller said...

Okay, I thought for sure you were going to say you peed your pants laughing! Especially being pregnant, that would have done it for me! Has your bladder improved over the years?!!