October 14, 2008

Homemade Soccer

County rec soccer is no cheap activity here. I think it was $90 plus an "encouraged donation" for Garrett to play last year. They had seven 45 minute sessions of drills and a little scrimmaging. Plus, if the fields are wet or there is a slight hiccup of bad weather, they cancel. We didn't have the greatest experience, so we were thinking soccer maybe should wait until he was a little older. Then my friend Mindy had a brilliant idea. She rounded up a bunch of 4-5 year olds from our ward at church and we created our own soccer team. She found a place to make team shirts for the kids and a few of the dads, including Jeff, became coaches. We set our own Saturday schedule, used the common space in her neighborhood and had a fabulous time! It was so fun to be on a team with a bunch of our friends and when we missed a day, it was no big deal. We can't wait to do this again in the spring!

4 comments:

Jaymie Quigley said...

Man, that's the way to do it! Smart thinking. I'm glad to hear you are all doing well and that you did get time for your hot shower!

Laura said...

how fun! it reminds me of that ballet class you taught!

Ellie said...

I heard about this from Mindy at preschool. It is a GREAT idea! I might copy it for my girls in the spring.

sara said...

That is so cute. What a great way to do it. I love the pictures in black and white.